Landlord Fined After Putting Tenants In Danger

A landlord was fined £16,000 costs of £1,500 at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court for failing to undertake his landlords’ gas safety duties.

Michael Jones of West Drive, Harrow Weald failed to ensure the gas boiler system at his property at Harbour Avenue in Plymouth was safely maintained, thereby putting tenants at risk.

Jones pleaded guilty guilty to breaching Regulation 36(2) and 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fine £8,000 for each breach.

Mark Grieves, who carried out the RIDDOR report, on the 18th April 2013, commented:

“The family told me there had been no gas safety check or appliance service carried out in the rented property for at least five years of occupancy. They suffered headaches and found themselves becoming unwell and suffering from tiredness.

Plymouth landlord 2 300×225 Landlord fined after putting tenants in danger“The daughter of the family, received warnings from her employer over her time-keeping because she was often late for work through sleeping in, suffering from headache conditions and tiredness.

“The gas meter and meter box were overgrown with ivy, which restricted access to the emergency control valve; the external grille on the purpose provided ventilation was brittle with age and the plastic crumbled when touched; the gas fire had two cracked radiants which were replaced following the service; the back boiler was layered with dust and pet hair, which had the potential to be flammable; the burner pressure on the back boiler was incorrect, and was adjusted following the appliance being serviced. Carbon monoxide was spilling into the room.

“The tenants were not aware that gas safety checks were a legal requirement, and must be carried out annually.”

Source: Installer Online.